Equipment > Vinyl Ripping and Archiving

my newest recording gear - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

<< < (2/3) > >>

lshin80:
I was considering this Focusrite USB interface before going for the Tascam US-122 Mk II. But this is also a nice machine.
The only weak spot of these audio interfaces are the electrolytic capacitors on the audio path. Even after the needed break-in period (at least 250 hours), they still sound a bit harsh, with exaggerated mids and less ambiance than the source they are recording. The so-called loudness effect. I can spot that when I make direct A/B comparisons between my LPs and my vinyl rips.

GoodVinylLover:
 Niice place :) Those framed tapes make me drool!  :o Here's a picture I've just took of some of mine:

I'm trying to download the needledrops but I can't...I'll keep on trying.

shadowlord:
^   nice tape collection!
i still use tape to make copies of my records.

I made a new needledrop.
This time i recorded the same record ( David Bowie - Cat People ( Moroder remix) 45rpm maxi single ) on both my systems. Let me know what you guys think and can you guess which one is which?

(44,1k 16bit wav)

http://www.file-upload.net/download-9423386/sample-a.wav.html

http://www.file-upload.net/download-9423414/sample-b.wav.html

BSD2000:
Wow, I haven't heard that song in a long time - nice song choice! Can't go wrong with Bowie.   8)

I just downloaded both samples and listened to them on my Sennheiser HD800's going through my Audio-GD NFB-12.1.

IMHO, Sample A has better high frequency extension, slightly deeper bass and much better dynamics and clarity. The AT440MLA has a micro-line stylus, which would explain the added clarity, transparency and refinement, so I'm guessing sample A is the AT440MLA.   :)

Sample B is a little rolled off in the highs and the dynamics are slightly more compressed. The sound stage is not quite as wide; and overall, it's not as refined and clear as sample A. I'll say that sample B is the Ortofon 2M Blue.  :)

My guess:

Sample A: Audio-Technica AT440MLA
Sample B: Ortofon 2M Blue

GoodVinylLover:
I've just listened to the samples. Mmmm.... I think Brian's bet is the most coherent option but my guess is:

A: Ortofon 2M Blue
B: AT440MLa

A risky bet, I know, since sample A seems to have better high freq extension but maybe the TTs also add their character to the sound and I also guess that the 2M Blue stylus is new and the AT is a bit old, therefore the AT is likely to have lost part of its highs...anyway, this is fun :P

Bowie, excellent choice ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Users found this pages searching for:

google google google com vinylaudio google vinylaudio google search yahoo vinylaudio google com bing
Go to full version
Sitemap