March 30, 2013, 08:47:22 PM
    • VinylAudio.net
  • BSD2000
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (2)
    Pennsylvania Send PM
    • Share Post
[attach=1]
Phil Ramone - Famed Record Producer of Paul Simon, Billy Joel, Tony Bennett, has died.

He's produced records for a staggering array of some of the biggest names in music, everyone from Frank Sinatra to Billy Joel to Dionne Warwick to Paul McCartney, spanning every conceivable genre. But despite having his name on hundreds of millions of albums, Phil Ramone's ego is surprisingly intact.

"I like to joke with people, ‘I’m the guy on the back cover,' the affable producer says. "It’s not like in the movies where it says, ‘Steven Spielberg presents Abe Lincoln.’ What I do is kind of invisible.”

Ramone's humility might be traced back to the training he received working as a 15-year-old junior assistant at a New York recording studio. "I was what they call a 'tea boy' in England," he says. "Not the most glamorous job in the world, but the experience I gained was invaluable."

Having earned his gofer stripes, Ramone was promoted to assistant engineer and assigned to cutting demos with hungry, hopeful young songwriters, people like Paul Simon. The Brill Building was a hotbed of creativity, and the budding boardsman quickly learned how to make quick conceptual records that would give artists an idea of how songs should sound. "The trick was to make more than just a piano and voice sketch," Ramone says. "I got my chops that way. I even started to work with echo chambers, which was a very big deal then."

Before long, Ramone gained a reputation as a creative sound technician, and his ability to craft recordings with the city's young rockers, many of whom were close to his own age, grew. "Some of the more ‘experienced’ engineers had problems with rock 'n' roll," he says. "They didn’t want to deal with these heavy-laden guitars and the loudest strums you ever heard. But I loved it, and so that really opened doors for me."

Asked to name his big break, Ramone cites the recording of the 1959 album The Genius Of Ray Charles. The arranger was Quincy Jones, and the team of Tom Dowd and Bill Schwartau were engineering. "I was the assistant on the record," Ramone says. "There were a lot of musicians booked for the session – more than I had ever worked with before. Ray Charles’ piano was pushed right up against the studio glass. But Quincy liked what I did, and that led to my doing other things with him. Pretty soon, I was being talked about in the recording world."

That same year, Ramone launched his own independent studio, A&R Recording, and his career took real flight. Whether engineering or producing, he describes his behind-the-glass philosophy as a mixture of technical know-how and personal instincts. “I respect and know that you need to earn the musicians’ confidence and trust," Ramone says. "We’re there not just to accommodate, but we need to have the artist walk in the room and say, ‘Hey, man, that sounds great.’ I’m very fussy about miking and figuring out what a record needs. The bond between an artist and producer is less about dialogue and more about results."

Ramone credits his ability to seize upon spontaneity as one of his key attributes in the studio, and it's resulted in music that has provided the soundtrack to the lives of millions of listeners. "You have to be able to run as fast as the artist," he stresses. "Capture the magic early on. After a few takes, people start intellectualizing what they’re doing, and it loses something. What’s special happens right away, so you have to be ready for it.”

Phil’s Grammys:
2006 Producer, Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album, Tony Bennett Duets: An American Classic
2005 Producer, Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album, Tony Bennett The Art of Romance
2004 Producer, Album of the Year, Ray Charles Genius Loves Company
2004 Producer, Best Surround Sound Album, Ray Charles Genius Loves Company
2004 Technical Grammy, for contributions of outstanding technical significance to the recording field.
2002 Producer – Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album Playin’ With My Friends: Bennett Sings The Blues
1994 Producer – Best Musical Show Album, Passion
1983 Composer – Best Instrumental Composition Written for a Motion Picture or for Television Flashdance
1980 Producer of the Year – Non-Classical
1979 Producer, Album of the Year, 52nd Street
1978 Producer, Record of the Year, Just The Way You Are
1975 Producer, Album of the Year, Still Crazy After All These Years
1969 Producer, Best Musical Show Album, Promises, Promises
1964 Engineer, Best Engineered Recording (non- classical) Getz/Gilberto

Phil Ramone's website.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:12:28 PM by BSD2000 »
Rega P25 - Zyx Omega G - Zyx R100H - Audio Research PH5 - Denon DP-52F - Denon DL-103D - Stax SRM-D50 & L700's - HiFiMan Arya - Focal Elex - RME ADI-2 Pro FS

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

sad
RIP Storm Thorgerson - 1944 ~ 2013

Started by BSD2000 on The Lounge

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2013, 05:22:46 PM
by shadowlord
xx
Musikfest 2013

Started by BSD2000 on The Lounge

0 Replies
Last post August 03, 2013, 04:04:21 PM
by BSD2000